Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Kairos.

I'll be away for the next few days attending a senior Kairos retreat at the Resurrection Center in Woodstock, Illinois (a place I made another retreat at barely a month ago, as recounted in this post). Kairos, in case you don't know, is "a religious retreat program grounded in Christian incarnational theology and Ignatian spirituality," in the words of the SICP Pastoral Ministry webpage. The roots of Kairos go back to 1965, when a diocesan priest in Brooklyn pioneered a "Christian Awakening" youth retreat modeled after the highly successful Cursillo Movement. In the 1960's and '70's, Kairos spread to Catholic high schools across the United States, becoming especially popular at Jesuit institutions. Students at St. Ignatius have been going on Kairos retreats since the mid-1980's. Not having attended a Jesuit or even a Catholic high school, I've never made a Kairos retreat. However, I have made a number of retreats based on the Cursillo model and have done enough preliminary reading on Kairos to get the gist of it. As an adult observer, I won't actually be "making" this retreat but will rather be expected to provide support and supervision in tandem with other adult chaperones. I'll probably post some reflections on the experience at the start of next week. AMDG.

1 Comments:

At February 16, 2006 6:32 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

My parents were "Cursillistas" and I was happy to find a college-version, "Encounter with Christ." They were blessed experiences for sure.

Peace,
Lisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home