Monday, November 14, 2005

Father Robert A. Pollauf, S.J., 1915-2005.

Father Bob Pollauf, a longtime parish priest and retreat director, died last Thursday at Colombiere at age 90. His funeral this morning drew much of his large family and many of his fellow Jesuits. I got to know Father Pollauf somewhat when I working at Colombiere during my hospital experiment last fall. In spite of his physical frailty, Father Pollauf remained mentally sharp and aware of goings on in the larger Jesuit world. When we first met, he said, "You're a novice? Then you live with Walt Farrell - I was a year ahead of him in the novitiate." Generally a man of few words, with a little prodding Father Pollauf would nonetheless share recollections of his seven decades in the Society. Being able to attend his funeral meant a lot to me, especially because several other Jesuits I got to know at Colombiere - men like George Prickril, Stan Wisniewski and Tom Gedeon - passed away during periods when I was away from the novitiate. I may not have been able to attend their obsequies, but I was able to attend Father Pollauf's, and for that I'm grateful. Requiescat in Pace. AMDG.

1 Comments:

At November 16, 2005 5:51 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful personal reflection on the life of a beautiful and holy priest! May he rest in peace!
Lisa
cullensdaughter@aol.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home