Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Isaac Jogues and me.

Novitiate Notes' triduum of Martyrs' links continues with a look at St. Isaac Jogues. In some ways, Jogues is my favorite of the Martyrs, or at least the one I feel the strongest connection to. He is the patron of Georgetown University and as such is featured on a stained glass window in Dahlgren Chapel there. When I was an undergrad at GU as well as afterward, I made personally significant retreats at the Jesuit Spiritual Center in Wernersville, Pennsylvania, a lovely place which once served as the novitiate of the Maryland Province, again under the patronage (and name) of St. Isaac Jogues. Driving back and forth between Indiana and Massachusetts as a law student, I also got to know the Martyrs' Shrine in Auriesville, New York, which commemorates the location of Jogues' martyrdom. As far as I know, Isaac Jogues is also the only one of the Martyrs to have given his name to an alt-rock band, yet another reason (as if I needed any more) that I'm fond of the guy. AMDG.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home